3 Ways To Cook Delicious Fish Fingers
Eba Khan | Updated: September 21, 2016 14:12 IST
Fish fingers, also known as fish sticks, are a popular snack in homes and restaurants alike. Though each restaurant may have a variant of their own, the basic recipe remains the same. What surprises me is the dedicated frozen section for this delight in every supermarket. Why would you need to buy the frozen preserved Fish Fingers when you can easily make them at home? Moreover, this snack can be cooked according to one’s preference, as it can be baked in the oven, grilled, shallow fried, or deep-fried.
So one fine evening, when I was wondering what to cook that is not only easy, but tastes great too, I found lovely Seer fish in my refrigerator. And voila! There was my Einstein moment! A mouth-watering recipe became the crowning glory of the evening and that’s when I decided to share it out.
(watch your weight with these food products!)
Here is a step by step guide to help you make Fish Fingers at home and enjoy them with your family and friends.
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 10 Minutes
250gm fish (Seer fish)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Oil to deep fry
1 cup bread crumbs
2-3 green chillis (paste)
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp ginger paste
3 onions (small, ground to a paste)
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup corn flour
1. Take the fish, clean it and cut it into long strips, 1 inch wide.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the onion paste with the green chilli paste. Add the lemon juice, ginger, garlic, turmeric and red chilli powder.
3. Marinate the fish pieces with the paste. Keep aside for at least 30 minutes to overnight in the refrigerator.
4. In another bowl, mix egg, salt and pepper. Keep it aside.
5. Put the breadcrumbs along with the zest of one lemon onto a plate.
6. Now dip the marinated fish strips into the flour, then the egg, and then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
How to cook:
1. Deep fry
Deep fry the fish fingers, in preheated oil.
Cook on medium heat, turning it occasionally for uniform cooking and colour.
Enjoy with mayonnaise or a hung-curd garlic dip.
Pre heat your medium grill for 10-15 minutes.
Brush your fish with some oil.
Turn over occasionally, Cook until crisp and golden.
You can also heat a non-stick tawa, slightly grease with a few drops of oil and cook.
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
Brush a non-stick baking sheet with half the oil.
Transfer the fish to the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
1. It is not necessary to use Seer fish; one can use any thick flesh fish and cut them into long strips.
2. You can do the marinating a day before or can keep the coated fish in the fridge for up to 3 days.
3. If you use one hand for dry ingredients like corn flour, breadcrumbs and the other one for egg, it will stop you from getting in a sticky mess.
4. You can add taste to the outside of the fingers by adding herbs like oregano, thyme, rosemary to the breadcrumbs.
(you can shop for lip smacking snacks! here!)
Fish fingers is a delightful snack which will not only leave your taste buds satisfied but your friends happy as well. Prepare a dip using fresh mayonnaise, salt, pepper, cucumber and onion (dipped in vinegar for 30 minutes). This will go with your crunchy fish and perfectly complement its tender inside.
For the latest food news, health tips and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.