Recipe Servings: 5
Apples coated in a flour based batter and deep fried. Dipped in a tasty sugar and sesame glaze.
- 3 medium size cooking apple
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup plain flour
- Peanut oil for deep frying
For the Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- Quarter the apples, Peel and core the pieces, than cut each quarter into 2 thick slices, 3 if the apple are large. Set aside.
- Beat the egg in a medium size bowl, add the water and beat again until combined, than tip in all flour at once and beat vigorously with rotary beater until batter is smooth.
- Do not over beat.
- Let batter stand while preparing glaze. As sugar cook start to heat oil for deep frying.
- Try to have oil for frying and sugar glaze ready at the same time. if oil is not put over too high a heat this should not be difficult.
- When the haze begins to rise from the surface of the oil drop pieces of apple into the batter, turn to code them completely.
- Then take one piece at time with fork and drop it into the oil. Do not cook too many at one time.
- Deep fry until the batter is golden. Then lift out with a slotted spoon and put straight into the sauce pan containing the glaze.
- Turn piece of apple in the glaze to coat the entire surface, then lift out and drop into a bowl containing cold water and ice cubes.
- The glaze will harden and become brittle almost at once. Lift them out quickly and put on a lightly oiled serving plate.
- Put sugar and water into a small saucepan and place over medium high heat.
- Do not stir at all. Let sugar mixture bubble until it starts to turn faintly golden around the edge of the pan.
- Stir in sesame seeds and turn heat as low as it will go.