Barley Risotto Recipe
Barley takes the place of rice in this risotto made using yellow squash, bitter gourd, zucchini and some distinct herbs.
Ingredients of Barley Risotto
- 100 gms diced bottle gourd/dudhi
- 50-60 gms diced zucchini
- 50-60 gms diced yellow squash
- One and a half tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 big Tbsp chopped leeks
- One and a half celery
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- Few sprigs rosemary
- Few sprigs thyme
- Few basil leaves
- One and a half tsp curry powder
- Few streaks of saffron
- 2 Tbsp vegetable stock
- 1-2 cups cooked barley
- One and a half tbsp cream
- One and a half tbsp parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 bunch chopped coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Barley Risotto
- Remove the insides of the bottle gourd and cut into dices.
- Dice the zucchini and yellow squash.
For the Barley Risotto:
- Heat olive oil, onions, celery and leeks in a sauce pan with some garlic and saute nicely.
- Then add the yellow squash, bitter gourd, zucchini, thyme, rosemary and basil.
- Add the curry powder and saffron to the vegetables.
- Now add the barley and keep adding the stock a little at a time to bring it all together.
- Put in the cream and add the grated cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with chives.
Key Ingredients: Zucchini
, Olive Oil
, bottle gourd
, parmesan cheese
, lemon juice
, coriander leaves
, black pepper
, curry leaves