Chilled Rice Wraps
Recipe Servings: 6
Chilled rice wraps stuffed with a paneer-mushroom mix marinated in soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar and smeared with a luscious onion-ginger paste. Tuck and roll away!
- For Ginger Onion Paste:
- 1/2 red onion, roughly sliced
- 70 gm or 1 spring onion, roughly chopped
- 15 gm or 1 small knob of ginger, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
For Brown Sugar Marinated Paneer & Mushrooms:
- 200 gm paneer
- 125-150 gm of mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of soya sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2-3 medium cloves of garlic, mashed and finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Few coriander/cilantro stems, finely chopped
For spring roll assembly:
- 1 small bunch crisp, crunchy lettuce (iceberg lettuce / romaine)
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro or coriander, well washed / dried
- 6 rice paper wrappers
- For the ginger onion paste:
- Place the red onions, spring onion and ginger in a blender.
- Sprinkle with salt, olive oil and blitz into a rough paste.
For the paneer & mushrooms:
- Slice the paneer into six equal slabs before arranging in a single layer on plate.
- Slice the mushrooms into thick slices.
For the marinade:
- In a bowl, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, garlic and olive oil and whisk it all together.
- Marinate the paneer and mushrooms with this mix.
- Pan sear the paneer in a large skillet over medium-high heat in a dash of olive oil, until deeply golden on each side.
- Remove from the pan, allow the paneer to cool and slice into pencil-thick pieces and season with salt.
- Once the paneer is done, you can use the same skillet to cook the mushrooms. Use high heat, and cook until the mushrooms release their water and turn a nice dark color.
- Add the chopped coriander/cilantro stems.
- Transfer to a bowl or platter, and season appropriately.
To assemble the spring rolls:
- Trim the paneer pieces into little fingers.
- In a bowl of warm water, dip each rice paper wrapper for just 3 seconds.
- Place on a flat work surface and fold in half. You're going to want to keep all your ingredients crowded into 1/3 of the available surface of the wrapper at this point.
- Generously smear the ginger onion paste.
- Then put a lettuce leaf, paneer, a few mushroom and cilantro.
- Tuck and roll.
- Makes about a 6 rolls.
Key Ingredients: spring onion
, soya sauce
, cottage cheese
, mushrooms, soy sauce, brown sugar
, olive oil
, coriander leaves