Christmas Dry Fruit Cake Recipe
Recipe Servings: 8
Bursting with the flavour of dry fruits, soaked in brandy, the traditional christmas cake takes a bit of effort but each delicious bite makes it worth your while.
Ingredients of Christmas Dry Fruit Cake
- 2 Tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups each: currants; golden raisins; dark raisins
- 1 1/2 cups soft dried figs, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped stoned dried prunes
- 1 3/4 cups chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 2/3 cup plus 4 Tbsp brandy
- 2 tsp instant espresso, mixed with 1 Tbsp water
How to Make Christmas Dry Fruit Cake
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Grease a round 9- or 10-inch cake pan, and line bottom and sides with several layers of waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high, beat the butter and sugar until it looks thick and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and spices, then fold into the creamed mixture.
- Add the fruit, almonds, 2/3 cup brandy, and espresso, folding in well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 275°F and bake for 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove the pan from the oven, cover it with a thickish cloth so that the cake will cool slowly.
- When the cake is cool, prick the top and sprinkle some brandy.
- Wrap in waxed paper and store in an airtight container. Keep in a cool place for up to 3 months.
Key Ingredients: butter
, brown sugar
, all purpose flour