Dahi ke Aloo
Recipe Servings: 4
An easy, light and refreshing potato curry with a yogurt base.
- 500 gm potatoes-boiled and peeled
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida or heeng
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp finely shredded ginger
- 1/2 cup tomatoes-grated
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste (substitute with rock salt if fasting)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 3-4 coarsely chopped green chillies
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Break the potatoes, by holding each in the palm of your hands and closing the fist.
- Set these unevenly broken potatoes aside, till required.
- Heat the clarified butter and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the cumin seeds begin to splutter, add the ginger and saute till lightly fried; then add the tomatoes and stir-fry till the fat separates.
- Add the garam masala, coriander powder, salt, turmeric and chilli powder.
- Stir a few times till well mixed, and then add the potatoes and the green chillies.
- Turn around over high heat, till they look slightly fried.
- Add about 2 cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce flame and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Beat the yoghurt till smooth and add to the potatoes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the chopped coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: rock salt
, red chilli
, green chillies
, clarified butter
, coriander powder
, cumin seeds
, garam masala
, tomatoes, turmeric
, coriander leaves