Recipe of Dal Kachori
Recipe Servings: 5
One of the most loved Indian snacks, this dal kachori is absolutely sensational.
- 1/2 cup arhar ki daal (husked pigeon peas/yellow lentils), soaked for 5-6 hours
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp heeng (asafoetida) powder
- 2 tsp green chillies, or to taste
- 1 tsp chilli powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp khus khus (poppy seeds)
- 2 Tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup maida (refined flour)
- 3 Tbsp ghee/oil
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
How to Make Dal Kachori
- Drain dal and grind coarsely.
- Heat oil and add jeera. When it splutters, add ginger, heeng, green chillies and saute till the color changes a bit.
- Add dal, salt, garam masala, chilli powder, khus khus, coconut and saute till it's 'fried'. Add about 1/4 cup water and cook till dal is cooked through. Mix in the tamarind and sugar and keep aside.
- Mix baking powder and salt into the maida. Rub ghee/oil into the maida, add water and knead into stiff dough. Rest, cover for 15 minutes.
- Make walnut sized rounds of the dal mixture.
- Break pieces of dough and roll into walnut sized rounds. Roll these flat into 1/4 inch rounds and pinch about 1/2 of the edge all around, leaving the centre thicker.
- Now wet the pressed edges, and place a ball of the filling in the centre. Bring the wet edges together, covering the filling completely, and pinch together to seal.
- Heat oil and deep-fry the kachoris, first over high heat, then over medium heat so that it cook's through, and browns evenly.
Key Ingredients: pigeon pea
, vegetable oil
, cumin seeds
, green chillies
, kashmiri mirch
, poppy seeds
, clarified butter
, baking powder