Recipe Servings: 4
Lamb cooked in a yogurt based gravy and garnished with coriander.
Ingredients of Dhaniwal Korma
- 1 cup cooked yogurt
- 1 kg leg of lamb-cut into pieces
- 12 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup desi ghee
- 1/3 cup onion-pureed
- 1 tsp ground garlic
- 4 cloves
- 8 green cardamoms
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 3 Tbsp green coriander, chopped
How to Make Dhaniwal Korma
- Boil the water in a deep pan; add the meat and bring the water to a boil again. Blanch for 2-3 minutes and then drain the water. Cool the meat and wash under cold running water. Keep aside.
- Put the blanched meat in a pan; add the pure ghee, onion puree, garlic, cloves, green cardamoms, salt, saffron, cooked yogurt, turmeric and coriander powder.
- Mix well and cook until the ghee separates from the mixture. Add just enough water so that when the meat is tender, very little water remains.
- Sprinkle the black pepper powder and stir.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
For the cooked yogurt:
- Whisk 2 cups yogurt until very smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup water and whisk again to blend it well.
- Pour this mixture into a round-bottomed pan and put it on high heat.
- Stir constantly till the mixture comes to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat to low, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced to half its original quantity and its color has changed to off-white.
Key Ingredients: yogurt
, lamb meat
, clarified butter
, coriander powder
, black pepper
, coriander leaves
, green cardamom
, coriander, pepper, green coriander