Fish Varutharacha Curry Recipe
Meen Varutharacha is a fish curry from 'God's own country', Kerala. Marinated pieces of fish cooked in a gravy made with dry coconut, tamarind and red chilli paste. It's fresh, easy and quick!
Ingredients of Fish Varutharacha Curry
- 1/2 kg mackerel or sardine
- 100 gm Small onions
- 1 Ginger
- 6 Cloves garlic
- 1 cup Coconut
- 3 pieces Tamarind
- 2 Tbsp Chilli powder
- 3 Tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek powder
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves
How to Make Fish Varutharacha Curry
- Cut the fish into small pieces of 1 inch thickness.
- Soak tamarind in water. Marinate the fish with turmeric and salt and keep aside.
- Take a pan and add 1 tsp coconut oil and add the scraped coconut and fry. When it is dry add small onions and continue to fry.
- Fry till the coconut has a dark brown color. Take care not to burn it.
- Then add the chilli and coriander powder and fry for some more time. Turn off the stove and add the garlic and ginger.
- Allow the mixture to cool. Then grind to a fine paste in a mixie with water.
- Take a vessel, add the paste, tamarind and water. Bring to boil on a high flame and add salt.
- Reduce the flame and add the fish pieces. Cook covered. After 5 minutes add the pepper powder and cook uncovered on high flame for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the flame and add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and the curry leaves.
- Give the vessel a turn and off the flame.
- Add the fenugreek powder, and keep covered on the stove for 10 minutes.
- Give the vessel a shake after that and keep covered.
Key Ingredients: Onion
, Kashmiri Mirch
, Coriander Powder
, Black Pepper
, Coconut Oil
, Curry Leaves