Recipe of Grilled Eggplant Panini
Recipe Servings: 4
Trade in the good old sandwich for something more exciting. Toasted bread with a stuffing of cheesy eggplants, basil mayonnaise and red peppers.
- 2 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 1/2-inch eggplant slices (about 1 small)
- 1/2 Tsp garlic salt
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 thin slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted bell peppers
- 4 thin sliced onions
How to Make Grilled Eggplant Panini
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl.
- Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt.
- With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
- Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, top with cheese, and continue grilling until
the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more.
- Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
To Assemble Sandwiches:
- Spread basil mayonnaise on four slices of bread.
- Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread.
- Cut in half and serve warm.