Guava Cheese Recipe
A chewy, fudgy, sticky treat made with fresh guavas. Guava cheese is a popular Goan delicacy. It has a long shelf life.
Ingredients of Guava Cheese
- 1 kg guava
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Sugar (depends on the proportion of pulp as mentioned in the recipe)
How to Make Guava Cheese
- Cut ends of guavas, cut into 4 and slice off the seeds.
- Cut into small pieces (with skin on).
- Place chopped guava in a pan and add water to cover.
- Cook until soft and strain through a cloth, squeezing and keeping the pulp for the cheese.
- Make jam with the pulp, using proportion of 4 cups pulp to 3 cups sugar and 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Weigh the pulp and mix with equal weight of sugar and 2 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring to avoid scorching, till it leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball.
- Spread on to a greased plate to set. Cut into squares and store in an airtight jar.
- Guava cheese can be eaten simply as a dessert or with sandwiches, toasts, etc.