Kale Channe Ki Biryani Recipe
Recipe Servings: 3
Experience the brilliance of black gram combined with fragrant basmati rice and an elaborate blend of flavours.
Ingredients of Kale Channe Ki Biryani
- 1 cup black gram (kala chana), boiled
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, soaked for 2 hours
- 3 inches cinnamon
- 5-7 green cardamoms
- 8-10 cloves
- 5 Tbsp ghee
2 black cardamoms
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 green chillies, slit
- 2 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 10-12 cashew nuts, fried
- 10-12 almonds, fried
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup fresh cream
- 1 tsp saffron
- 1 inch ginger, cut into juliennes
- 1 tsp screw pine essence (kewra)
- 2 Tbsp browned onions + for garnishing
- Whole wheat flour dough for sealing
How to Make Kale Channe Ki Biryani
- Boil 3 cups water in a deep non-stick pan.
- Add 1 inch cinnamon, 2-3 cardamoms and 4-5 cloves and mix.
- Add rice and cook till partially done, drain and set aside.
- Heat 4 Tbsp ghee in another deep non-stick pan.
- Add cinnamon, black cardamoms, green cardamoms, peppercorns, bay leaves and cloves, saute till fragrant.
- Add onions and saute till golden.
- Add 2 slit green chillies, saute followed by ginger-garlic paste, mix well.
- Now add 1 tablespoon water and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder and turmeric powder, reduce heat, add yogurt and stir continuously.
- Cook till the ghee separates.
- Add black gram and mix well.
- Add chopped mint, chopped coriander, garam masala powder and red chilli powder.
- Mix well and add 1 cup water, stir to mix and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add salt, biryani masala, cashews, almonds, mix well and cook further
For the jhol:
- Heat milk in a non-stick pan, add cream, mix and heat.
- Add ghee and saffron, mix well and heat for a minute.
- Discard bay leaves, cinnamon and cardamoms from the gram mixture.
- Divide the mixture equally into two parts and keep one part in the pan.
- Spread a layer of cooked rice over the gram mixture in the pan, drizzle some jhol on the sides.
- Top with chopped coriander, green chilli and half a ginger.
- Spread the second part of the gram mixture on top and repeat the process with the remaining rice and jhol.
- Drizzle screw pine essence on top and crown with remaining ginger pieces, coriander, mint, slit green chilli, browned onions, cashew nuts and almonds.
- Roll the dough into a long cylinder and line it on the lid.
- Cover the pan, press to seal, place the pan on a hot non-stick tawa and cook on dum (low flame) for about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with browned onions.
Key Ingredients: black gram
, basmati rice
, green cardamom
, clarified butter
, black pepper
, bay leaf
, green chillies
, coriander powder
, mint, coriander leaves
, garam masala
, red chilli