Kashmiri Chicken Pulao
An aromatic chicken pulao bursting with rich flavors of whole spices, Kashmiri chillies and desi ghee.
- 500 gram rice
- 6-7 chicken thighs
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 3-4 pods of green cardamom
- 3-4 sticks of cinnamon
- 2 tsp mace
- Few black pepper corns
- 5-6 cloves of chopped garlic
- 5-6 raisins
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp desi ghee
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 tsp coriander seed powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 finely sliced ginger
- Cooking oil
- Salt & water
- Take 500 gram rice, wash it properly and soak it in some water for 20 minutes.
- Take 6-7 chicken thighs and cut it into even size pieces
- Now wash these pieces well and drain the excessive water out, nicely.
- Take 1 cup of yoghurt and add salt, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 3 tsp coriander seed powder and 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Whisk the yoghurt nicely and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp desi ghee in a pan, add 4-5 cloves of chopped garlic, add 5-6 cloves,1 cup sliced onions and saute.
- Now add the finely chopped ginger and 5-6 chopped green chillies and saute.
- Now add the whisked yoghurt mixture and saute.
- Cook for 2 minutes and once you see the specs of fat coming up, add the chicken pieces.
- Add some salt too at this stage.
- Cook for 1 minute and add 2 cups of water and leave it to boil. Use enough of water because the rice will be cooked in this.
- Let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the rice to the chicken and allow it to cook.
- Gently stir the rice because basmati after soaking becomes very fragile.
- Once the rice is cooked, serve hot.
Key Ingredients: Chicken
, cumin seeds
, clarified butter
, coriander powder
, green cardamom
, black pepper
, coriander seeds
, red chilli
, vegetable oil