Recipe of Khud Style Baked Indian Basa
Recipe Servings: 6
Aditya Bal cooks a banana leaf wrapped basa fish baked with some fragrant basmati rice in Raghogarh, Madhya Pradesh.
- 2 large fillets of basa fish
- 1 cup of basmati rice, boiled
For the Marinade:
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 10-12 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp dry red chilli paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tsp ghee
- 100 gms hung curd
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander
How to Make Khud Style Baked Indian Basa
- Dry roast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds,and grind to a powder. Next, char the garlic and grind to a paste with a pinch of salt.
- Combine the ground spices and garlic paste with the dry red chilly paste, turmeric powder, salt, lime juice, hung curd and ghee. Mix well.
- Add in a handful of chopped coriander to the marinade and then, apply the marinade to the fillets of fish till they are well coated with the paste.
- Layer a banana leaf with kitchen foil, make a bed of rice on it, and place the fish carefully on the rice.
- Fold the banana leaf over to make a parcel and tie with string.
- Place the fish-parcel in an oven on medium heat (or the embers of firewood/dry cow dung ) for 20 minutes.
- Unwrap the banana leaf parcel, and serve the fish as is, on the bed of rice.
Key Ingredients: fish
, basmati rice
, cumin seeds
, coriander seeds
, red chilli
, clarified butter
, hung curd
, lemon juice
, coriander leaves