Massaman Curry (Thai Muslim Curry) Recipe
Recipe Servings: 5
Chicken cooked in coconut flavors, tamarind, potatoes and an aromatic massaman curry paste.
Ingredients of Massaman Curry (Thai Muslim Curry)
- 500 gm chicken thigh
- 3 Tbsp masaman curry paste
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 5 potatoes - carved and boiled
- 5 small onions - carved
- 2 Tbsp roasted peanut
- 5 roasted cardamom pods
- 1 roasted cinnamon stick (about 1 inch long)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp tamarind concentrate
- 3 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- Bay leaves -for garnish
For Massaman Curry Paste
- 3 shallots - sliced
- 5 cloves garlic - peeled
- 2 red chillies
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal (or ginger) - peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass - outer leaves and bulb removed, then sliced thinly (save upper stems to throw into the pot )
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds - ground
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds - ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- Additional fish sauce - to taste
How to Make Massaman Curry (Thai Muslim Curry)
- Preheat the coconut milk over medium heat until boiling, add chicken thigh, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
- Preheat the coconut cream over medium heat until oil surfaces.
- Add the curry paste, and saute until fragrant. Transfer to the chicken pot, add peanuts.
- Season to taste with sugar, fish sauce, tamarind juice and lime juice.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and simmer until everything is tender and cooked through.
- Spoon onto a serving dish, garnish with bay leaf to give a sense of a Thai touch. Pickled ginger or cucumber relish can also be served as condiments.
- For Massaman Curry Paste
- Place all paste ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and process well.
- To make a sauce rather than a paste, add more coconut milk (1 to 2 cans).
- To use immediately, place sauce in a casserole/baking dish together with chicken, seafood, vegetables.
- Stir well to combine, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees until finished.
- You can store curry pastes in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or until needed.
- When ready to use, add more coconut milk to make a sauce, then add your other ingredients.
Key Ingredients: chicken
, coconut milk
, black cardamom
, bay leaf
, fish sauce
, lemon juice
, red chilli
, kaffir lime
, coriander seeds
, cumin seeds
, green cardamom