Recipe of Meen Alleppey Curry with Brown Rice
Traditional fish curry with raw mangoes, served with steamed brown rice.
- 900 g pomfret fillet, skinless
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 250 g madras shallots (or 100g red onions)
- 3 Tbsp green chilli, chopped
- 5 Tbsp ginger, chopped
- 2 Tbsp degi mirch powder
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 300 g raw mango, diced
- Salt to taste
- 20 curry leaves
- 1200 ml coconut cream (tinned)
- 5 Tbsp coconut milk powder
- 1 cup brown rice (200 g)
How to Make Meen Alleppey Curry with Brown Rice
- Clean and cut the fish into rectangular pieces.
- Prepare the curry by heating coconut oil in a pan.
- Add shallots, green chilli and ginger.
- Fry this mixture till onions turn soft, and then add the powdered spices.
- Remove from flame; add some water and cook the masala.
- Then add dices of raw mango, salt, curry leaves and cook till mangoes are soft.
- When masala is cooked, add coconut cream and milk, keep on slow fire and cook.
- Add the fish to the curry, simmer till fish is cooked and adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot with the steamed brown rice.
Key Ingredients: pomfret
, coconut oil
, green chillies
, kashmiri mirch
, curry leaves
, coconut milk
, brown rice