Olive and Rosemary Focaccia Bread
Recipe Servings: 4
Focaccia bread is an Italian flat bread topped with herbs. In this version the bread is topped with rosemary and black olives.
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp reg sugar
- 3 cups flour/atta
- 1 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/3 cup kalmata olives pitted and cut into circles
- Start by taking the temp of your lukewarm water. It should be 45 degrees centigrade or 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a measuring cup put sugar. Take the right temp of water and add yeast to 3/4 cup warm water. It should start bubbling.
- Keep aside the water and yeast mix for 10 minutes. Now add to sugar.
- Add salt and rosemary to the 3 cups flour and mix with hands. Add 1.5 tablespoon olive oil to flour. Add sliced olives. Mix with hands.
- Now add the yeast mix to flour along with rest of water, knead to make a nice dough ball using flour if needed.
- Put 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and rub dough ball all over with the oil. Cling film this bowl along with dough ball.
- Keep in a nice warm place for 1 hour so it doubles in size. Take out and roll and punch all air out.
- Roll and place in a nice pizza sheet with holes. Cling film again and keep in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Let it rise further. Now open and rub 1 tablespoon olive oil (to get a nice crispy finish).
- Use fingers to create the holes in focaccia and decorate with black olives or herbs.
- Keep in middle rack of oven at 220 degree centigrade for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.