Rajma Ke Kebab
Recipe Servings: 5
A great way to start your dinner party is to serve these vegetarian rajma kebabs. Crispy golden on the outside and soft and tangy on the inside.
- 2 Tbsp ghee or olive oil + To pan fry
- Asafoetida or heeng, a pinch
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 4-5 badi elaichi dana (Black cardamom seeds)
- 2 Tbsp garlic paste
- 1 Tbsp ginger, chopped finely
- 1 medium sized onion, grated
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2-3 Tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 green chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 Tbsp whipped yogurt
- 2 cups rajma or red kidney beans, boiled and mashed roughly
- 6-7 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- In a pan add 2 Tbsp ghee and a pinch of heeng. Once the oil heats add zeera and elaichi dana. Let it flutter. Swap ghee with olive oil to make them healthier.
- Add garlic and ginger paste. Once it browns a little, add onions and saute till golden brown. In case the onions start to burn add a little water.
- Add the tomato puree, ketchup, chilli powder, garam masala, green chillies and salt.
- Once the masala starts to leave sides add whipped yogurt, coriander and the rajma. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir continuously till the masala leaves the pan from all sides. Let the masala cool for a while.
- Once cooled, add 2 Tbsp breadcrumbs to it. Make elongated kebabs from the mixture.
- Roll the kebabs in breadcrumbs to form a crusty casing. Keep them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- On a non stick pan add ghee/ olive oil and place the kebabs. Pan fry them from all sides till the breadcrumbs obtain a brown color.
- Serve hot with hari chutney.
Key Ingredients: Kidney beans
, clarified butter
, tomato puree
, cumin seeds
, black cardamom
, garam masala
, green chillies
, coriander leaves