Rajma (No Onion, No Garlic)
Recipe Servings: 4
Rajma is an undying classic cooked often in the north Indian households. Here goes the recipe of a steaming hot bowl of rajma with loads of masalas and tomatoes.
- 2 cups rajmah
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 2 cups tomatoes-finely chopped
- 1/4 cup channa, roasted
- 1 Tbsp ginger-chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds-roasted
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chillies-coarsely crushed
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp coriander leaves-chopped
- Soak the rajma with baking soda and leave for 4-6 hrs.
- change water and cook until the rajma becomes tender.
- Strain and reserve liquid and beans separately.
- Combine together and grind to a paste the roasted channas, ginger, garam masala, bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add tomatoes, stir-fry until the oil separates.
- Add ground ingredients and stir-fry further till the oil separates again. Mix in the salt, turmeric, coriander powder and the red chillies and stir well.
- Add beans and green chillies, stir around until well mixed and lightly fried.
- To the beans liquid, add enough water to make 4 cups together and add to the above.
- Bring to a boil and leave to simmer until the gravy becomes well blended.
- Serve rajma hot garnished with butter and coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: ginger
, kidney beans
, cumin seeds
, coriander leaves
, coriander powder
, garam masala
, clarified butter
, baking soda
, bay leaf
, red chilli
, green chillies
, tomatoes, chick peas