Spiced Paneer, Channa and Apple Salad Recipe
Recipe Servings: 4
Make this 'zara-hatke' salad at home. Boiled chickpeas paired with fresh greens, crisp apples and spiced paneer.
Ingredients of Spiced Paneer, Channa and Apple Salad
- 150 gms white channas, soaked and boiled
- 100 gms paneer
For the spice rub:
- Cumin seeds
- Coriander seeds
- Red chilly powder
- Turmeric powder
- 1 green apple
- 1 onion
- Lola rossa lettuce (Strictly no iceberg leaves)
- Green olives
- Refined oil to fry
For the dressing:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Whole peppercorns
How to Make Spiced Paneer, Channa and Apple Salad
- Soak chickpeas overnight, strain water and then boil the chickpeas till cooked and tender. Keep aside and leave to cool in their liquid.
- Dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds and grind them to a semi fine powder.
- Put the cumin and coriander powders into a small bowl and add the turmeric, red chilly and salt. Then add a little refined oil and lime juice and mix well to make a simple spice paste.
- Cut the paneer into chunks, then marinate with the spice paste for 15 minutes or so. Cut the red apple into small cubes and keep aside covered in water.
- Heat a little refined oil in a hot frying pan and fry the paneer until it's a nice golden brown all over. Keep aside.
For the dressing:
Put all the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and add a little of the cooking liquid from the chickpeas. Then mix well to emulsify.
- Put the chickpeas into a bowl, add the apple, celery, lettuce, onion and olives. Season well and drizzle with olive oil, then mix well. Finally add the spiced paneer and then spoon over the dressing.
- Toss the salad a few times until all the components are nicely coated with the dressing. Serve immediately.
Key Ingredients: Cottage Cheese
, Cumin seeds
, Coriander seeds
, red chilli
, vegetable oil
, olive oil
, Red wine vinegar
, black pepper