Tabakh Maaz Recipe
Recipe Servings: 3
Delicious Kashmiri style ribs recipe from the Waza brothers. This tabakh maaz recipe is a must try if you are a fan of the wazwaan cuisine.
Ingredients of Tabakh Maaz
- 1 kg rib cage (only the membranous part of the ribs, not the chop), un-separated
- 5 liters water
- 4 1/2 tsp ground garlic
- 3 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 1/2 cups cold water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dry ginger powder
- 8 cloves
- 8 black cardamom
- 3 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 cups pure ghee
How to Make Tabakh Maaz
- Bring the water to a boil; add the ribs. Continue to boil, removing the scum that rises to the surface. Repeat until the water is clear. Boil covered till the ribs are half done.
- Add the garlic and mix well. Continue to boil for another 10 minutes.
- Add the salt and boil covered, continuously till the membrane between the ribs can be pierced with the thumb.
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain the water.
- Cool the ribs and then immerse in a pan of cold water. Wash thoroughly and keep them aside. Do not discard this water.
- Chop the ribs with a heavy, sharp knife into 8 equal rectangular pieces.
- Boil the water in which the ribs were washed.
- Add the chopped ribs, salt, dry ginger powder, cloves, black cardamoms and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Let it boil until the bones can be extracted from the membrane easily.
- Remove the pan from the heat and take out the ribs with a slotted spoon. Keep aside.
- Discard the water.
- Arrange the ribs in a large frying pan, so that they don't overlap.
- Pour the ghee over them. Fry until they are reddish brown all over. Turn occasionally.
- Drain out the ghee before serving.