Recipe of Victoria Sponge with Plum Jam
The Victoria sponge cake is named after Queen Victoria, who liked having a slice of sponge cake with her afternoon tea. A Victoria cake is a sponge cake layered with jam and cream.
- 200 gm butter
- 200 gm castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200 gm flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the Plum Jam:
- 2 kg plums - halved and stoned
- 4 sweet limes, grated rind and juice
- 300 ml water
- 2 kg grain sugar
- Cream (optional, for layering)
How to Make Victoria Sponge with Plum Jam
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add beaten eggs, beating the mixture well between each addition.
- Fold in sieved flour and baking powder.
- Spoon into greased and lined 9"round tin. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 25 minutes or until golden in color. Remove from oven.
- Cool slightly before turning out.
- When cool, split in half and fill with jam and cream.
To make Jam:
- Roughly chop plums and place them in a large pan with the rind, juice and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, while on the heat.
- Dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to a fast boil and cook until setting point is reached.
- Leave to cool and use to fill the cake.
Key Ingredients: butter
, castor sugar
, all purpose flour
, baking powder
, lemon juice
, lemon rind