Milk is a dairy product derived from the mammary gland of mammals. Milk is used worldwide as food for humans. It is also converted into dairy products like cheese, butter, curd, cream etc. Modern industries use milk to produce casein, lactose, whey protein, powdered milk, condensed milk and other industrial products. People who are lactose intolerent use soy or almond milk.Lactose is a disaccharide sugar that is found in milk.
Milk and milk products should be bought fresh. Milk should be stored in refrigerator below 40 degree Fahrenheit but it should never be stored near the door of the refrigerator where it is susceptible to warm air from the opening and closing the door. Milk for consumption is mostly derived from cows, goats, buffloes and sheeps.
1. Drinking milk is a great way to prevent tooth decay as milk is known to reduce the level of acidity in the mouth. It also fights plaque formation and reduces the risk of cavities.
2. It is good for health as it delivers energy.
3. It is vital for building and maintaining tissues.
4. Vitamin B6 in milk helps in the formulation of red blood cells.
5. Calcium present in milk helps in building bones and teeth.
6. Milk also contains zinc that plays an important role in the immune system, and is good for the eyes.
Did you know?
The habit of drinking milk became popular in Afghanistan about 10, 000 years ago.