Your Guide to the Causes and Remedies for Forehead Acne
NDTV Food | Updated: December 23, 2016 21:54 IST
Acne is a common skin condition that occurs when the skin pores get clogged with oil and dead cells. The forehead is one of the most common areas where pimples or bumps may appear. In this guide, we’re going to answer the two most important questions that have probably left you wondering all this while.
What causes forehead acne?
Adult acne may occur primarily due to hormonal changes in the body but here are some more reasons why the forehead is susceptible to acne.
1. Bad cosmetics: Forehead acne can occur due to certain makeup or hair products that may not suit you. Chemicals in certain shampoos, sprays or gels may drip off your hair and irritate the sensitive skin leading to blocked pores and acne flare ups as a reaction.
2. Dandruff and greasy scalp:Dandruff and excess oil can clog the skin pores causing zits and pimples. Dandruff is one of the most common causes of forehead acne. People with oily scalp are also prone to have acne on the forehead, upper chest and the back.
3. Popping zits: We know how frustrating acne can be but popping the zits can cause the bacteria to spread and cause even more acne. Excoriated acne may occur when you have the habit of constantly touching your face to peel blemishes or remove blackheads which can only aggravate the condition.
4. Digestive problems: It is due to the functions of the digestive system that we are able to absorb all the beauty nutrients from the food we eat and they also help in removing the toxins. Lot of studies have showed that gastrointestinal distress like constipation, heartburn and abdominal bloating are likely to be associated with acne. Since skin is your largest organ, problems like acne, dermatitis and more may occur when something is wrong internally.
5. Stress: It has been found that when you are stressed more oil (sebum) is produced that clogs the hair follicles and allows more acne to form.
6. Over exfoliating:Exfoliation helps in removing the dead skin cells but overdoing it may result in acne and irritation. It’s best to limit it twice a week.
How to get rid of it?
Forehead is a part of the T-zone of the face which is usually oily and this makes it more prone to acne. The good news is that forehead acne is easier to prevent and treat than the other areas. We’ve got you some great advice and remedies for forehead acne.
1. Lemon: This is the easiest remedy for forehead acne. “Apply some lime juice directly on the acne and leave it on for 5 minutes. It might burn a bit but it is very effective in clearing the acne,” suggests Dermatologist Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj.
2.Tea Tree Oil: “Tea tree oil is the best proven treatment for forehead acne. One can simply just put two drops of tea tree oil over the forehead acne. Tea tree oil has strong antibiotic properties which can destroy acne causing bacteria,” shares Himanshu Chadha, Director, APS Cosmetofood.
3. Almond powder, gram flour and turmeric: Mix almond powder and gram flour in equal quantities with a pinch of turmeric. Add water to this mix to make a paste and apply it over your forehead. Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse.
4. Apply melon: In his book, "Ayurvedic Home Remedies", Dr. Vasant Lad suggests that you can rub a slice of melon on the acne and leave it on overnight. It has a cooling effect so it helps in healing the acne and also makes your skin soft.
5. Black pepper: This is an old remedy from granny's treasure trove. Mix some black pepper with water and apply it on the acne. Leave it on till it dries but be careful to keep away from your eyes. This may burn a bit so you can even add some soothing yogurt or few drops of rose water to this mix.
For clear and supple skin, it's not only important to have a balanced diet but also to exercise daily. Being active helps in improving the blood circulation and increasing the blood flow to the skin to heal the acne faster.
For the latest food news, health tips and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.