Acne is a common skin condition that occurs when the skin pores get clogged with oil and dead cells. The forehead is one of the most common areas where pimples or bumps may appear. In this guide, we're going to answer the two most important questions that have probably left you wondering all this while. But, what causes forehead acne? Adult acne may occur primarily due to hormonal changes in the body but here are some more reasons why the forehead is susceptible to acne. It is often caused due to excess production of oil from the sebaceous glands leading to the blockage of hair follicles. There are times when eating of some foods can do more harm than good to your body. A diet comprising unhealthy foods can cause acne to a great extent. Acne is caused by secretion of too much oil (sebum) in the body. It can also be caused by genetics, irregular menstrual cycle, stress, hot and humid weather and even by oil-based makeup. Acne can also lead to scars on the face if not taken care of properly. It is important to know the real cause behind your acne and ways to treat it.
Here Are A Few Causes Of Acne:
2. Dandruff and greasy scalp:Dandruff and excess oil can clog the skin pores causing zits and pimples. Dandruff is one of the most common causes of forehead acne. People with oily scalp are also prone to have acne on the forehead, upper chest and the back. There are many creams and treatments available to cure the acne caused by dandruff. However, there're many natural chemical-free methods; better to opt for home remedies.
1. Bad cosmetics: Forehead acne can occur due to certain makeup or hair products that may not suit you. Chemicals in certain shampoos, sprays or gels may drip off your hair and irritate the sensitive skin leading to blocked pores and acne flare ups as a reaction. Face acne may occur due to presence of laolin -- it is a specific ingredient found in your foundation. When pores become clogged from such irritating ingredient, they attempt to flush themselves out, consequently resulting in acne.
(Also Read: 7 Foods That Can Cause Acne)
Dandruff is one of the most common causes of forehead acne.
3. Popping zits: We know how frustrating acne can be but popping the zits can cause the bacteria to spread and cause even more acne. Excoriated acne may occur when you have the habit of constantly touching your face to peel blemishes or remove blackheads which can only aggravate the condition.
4. Digestive problems: It is due to the functions of the digestive system that we are able to absorb all the beauty nutrients from the food we eat and they also help in removing the toxins. Lot of studies have showed that gastrointestinal distress like constipation, heartburn and abdominal bloating are likely to be associated with acne. Since skin is your largest organ, problems like acne, dermatitis and more may occur when something is wrong internally.
5. Stress: It has been found that when you are stressed more oil (sebum) is produced that clogs the hair follicles and allows more acne to form. A lot or studies show that stress and acne are directly linked. The body responds to stress by directing blood flow and oxygen to areas vital for fighting the stress, and withdraws from other areas, including the skin. The skin eventually becomes starved of blood and oxygen, making it dehydrated, dull, lifeless, and prone to clogged pores and acne.
6. Over exfoliating:Exfoliation helps in removing the dead skin cells but overdoing it may result in acne and irritation. Even the beauty experts around the world will tell you that exfoliation is the best way to remove dead cells, rejuvenate your skin and bring back your natural glow. It's best to limit it twice a week.
(Also Read: Ayurveda For Acne: 5 Easy Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Acne)
Exfoliation is the best way to remove dead cells, but limit it twice a week.
There are many home remedies for acne that you may want to try.
Here's How To Get Rid Of Acne Naturally:
Forehead is a part of the T-zone of the face which is usually oily and this makes it more prone to acne. The good news is that forehead acne is easier to prevent and treat than the other areas. We've got you some great advice and remedies for forehead acne.
1. Lemon: This is the easiest remedy for forehead acne. “Apply some lime juice directly on the acne and leave it on for 5 minutes. It might burn a bit but it is very effective in clearing the acne,” suggests Dermatologist Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj.
2.Tea Tree Oil: “Tea tree oil is the best proven treatment for forehead acne. One can simply just put two drops of tea tree oil over the forehead acne. Tea tree oil has strong antibiotic properties which can destroy acne causing bacteria,” shares Himanshu Chadha, Director, APS Cosmetofood.
(Also Read: The Acne Diet: What to Eat and What to Avoid for Flawless Skin)
4. Apply melon: In his book, "Ayurvedic Home Remedies", Dr. Vasant Lad suggests that you can rub a slice of melon on the acne and leave it on overnight. It has a cooling effect so it helps in healing the acne and also makes your skin soft.
3. Almond powder, gram flour and turmeric: Mix almond powder and gram flour in equal quantities with a pinch of turmeric. Add water to this mix to make a paste and apply it over your forehead. Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse.
5. Black pepper: This is an old remedy from granny's treasure trove. Mix some black pepper with water and apply it on the acne. Leave it on till it dries but be careful to keep away from your eyes. This may burn a bit so you can even add some soothing yogurt or few drops of rose water to this mix.
For clear and supple skin, it's not only important to have a balanced diet but also to exercise daily. Being active helps in improving the blood circulation and increasing the blood flow to the skin to heal the acne faster.