The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

  • The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

    Photo 1 of 8

    The Cham dance is a lively dance ritual performed with masks and vibrant costumes. It is considered a form of meditation and often offers a moral message.

  • The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

    Photo 2 of 8

    Bhutan is known for its handicrafts such as carpets, colorful masks, silver, hand-woven bamboo items and Bhutanese wooden products.

  • The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

    Photo 3 of 8

    Tzhem zo or the art of tailoring is a popular art amongst the Bhutanese. The art of embroidery is normally practiced by monks.

  • The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

    Photo 4 of 8

    Wooden or papier mache masks used by dancers that are colourfully painted and decorated.

  • The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

    Photo 5 of 8

    A common tradition followed in Bhutan is too say 'meshu meshu' and cover one's mouth when the food is offered for the first time. The refusal continues once or twice and then the person finally gives in.

  • The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

    Photo 6 of 8

    About 75 percent of the population in Bhutan follow a particular school of Buddhism. The remaining 25 percent mainly practice Hinduism or Bon.

  • The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

    Photo 7 of 8

    A traditional Bhutanese meal primarily consists of red rice, buckwheat, meats and lentils.

  • The Ancient and Unique Culture of Bhutan on Display

    Photo 8 of 8

    Woman cooking a traditional meal. Rice, lentils and grains are staples used in every household.

Advertisement
Advertisement