How to make Ney Appam
About Ney Appam Recipe: A delicious sweet, rice-based fried dish from the south Indian cuisine, nei appam derives its name where nei means ghee and appam means pancake and the recipe is exactly that. Here the appam is made with a mix of banana, coconut, jaggery and raw soaked rice. A perfect sweet dish to prepare on special occasions and festivals.
Ingredients of Ney Appam
- 1 Cup raw rice
- 3/4 cup jaggery
- 2 small banana
- 1/2 baking soda
- 1 tbsp coconut, grated
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
How to Make Ney Appam
- 1.Soak rice in water for 3 hours.
- 2.Mix jaggery with water and heat it up for a few minutes till the jaggery melts. Strain the syrup keep it aside.
- 3.Drain the water from the rice and grind it with the jaggery syrup to a fine paste. Add water if needed.
- 4.Add the banana to the rice and jaggery paste and pulse it once or twice till the banana is mixed well with the paste and pour the mixture in a bowl.
- 5.Check for the consistency. It should be slightly thicker than the dosa batter.
- 6.Add the cardamom powder and the grated coconut to the batter and mix well.
- 7.Set the batter aside for at least 2 hours for fermentation.
- 8.While frying, add the baking soda to the batter and mix well.
- 9.Heat appam pan, add a tsp of ghee / oil in each hole. Pour a spoon full of the batter in each hole. When cooked on one side, carefully flip to other side, add oil / ghee if required.
- 10.Cook until both sides are dark brown. It’s ready to be served.
Key Ingredients: raw rice, jaggery, banana, baking soda, coconut, cardamom powder, ghee/oil