Recipe Servings: 5
Sweet flour dumplings stuffed with coconut, jaggery, nutmeg and saffron. Steamed to perfection. A famous Indian dessert consumed highly during the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi.
- For the filling:
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of saffron
For the shell:
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 cup of rice flour
- For the fillling:
- Heat a pan, add the grated coconut and jaggery.
- Stir for about five minutes. Add the nutmeg and saffron, mix well.
- Cook for another five minutes and keep aside.
For the modak:
- In a deep dish, boil water with ghee. Add the salt and flour. Mix well.
- Cover the dish and cook till its half done.
- Spread some ghee on the base of a steel bowl and while the dough is still hot, knead it well.
- Now take a little dough, roll it into a ball, flatten it well, shape the edges into a flower pattern.
- Put a spoonful of the filling onto the dough and seal it.
- Put the dumplings in a muslin cloth and steam them for 10- 15 minutes. Serve.