Recipe Servings: 4
Mohanthal is an Indian dessert prepared in many auspicious occasions especially during Diwali. It is popular in Gujarat. Gram flour, khoya, milk and nuts mixed togethar to form square barfis.
- 250 gm gram flour (besan)
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 3 Tbsp milk, mixed to a crumbly consistency
- 50 gm khoya
- 200 gm sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 150 gm ghee
- For garnishing:
- Put sugar and half a cup of water over low heat and stir till sugar dissolves (do not let it come to a boil).
- When it dissolves let it boil and cook till hard ball consistency. Drop a drop into cold water and it should form into a hard lump.
- While sugar is cooking, cook khoya over low heat, stirring all the time, till crumbly. Heat ghee and add the gram flour mixture and saute till a light brown.
- Add cardamom, mix well and remove from heat.
- Add syrup and stir gently to mix well. Transfer to greased thali, pat to level, garnish with almonds and pistachios.
- Cool and cut into squares and store into air tight containers.