Tahu Telur (Indonesian Bean Curd Omelettes)
Recipe Servings: 4
Omelets made with tofu (bean curd). Topped with tomato sauce.
- For Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely minced
- 1 ripe tomato - finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 square fresh bean curd (tofu)
- 3 large eggs - beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 green onions - finely chopped
- Peanut oil - for frying
- For the Sauce:
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry onion and garlic over low heat, stir frequently for five minutes.
- Add tomato and fry for 4 minutes or until tomato is cooked to a pulp.
- Add soy sauce, water and sugar, bring to a boil. Serve warm.
For the Omelettes:
- Chop bean curd into small pieces or mash roughly with a fork.
- Stir into the eggs, season with salt and pepper; add the green onions.
- Heat a large skillet, grease the base lightly with oil and fry the egg mixture in small round omelettes no larger than saucer size.
- Make a few and keep warm on a hot plate until all the mixture is cooked.
- Serve immediately topped with the sauce.