Vitamin E has always been known for its myriads of health and beauty benefits. Vitamin E oil is both a nutrient and an antioxidant. According to the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements, it helps neutralise free radicals, which damage cells and might contribute to cardiovascular disease, cancer and other ailments. Dr. Manoj K. Ahuja, Fortis Hospitals, says, “Vitamin E oil is a powerful fat-soluble antioxidant that can rejuvenate your skin and overall health. It encompasses a group of eight compounds that include both tocopherols and tocotrienols. Vitamin E oil in its purest form is extremely versatile. You can slather it on your skin or swallow it in a capsule."
Here are 10 benefits of applying Vitamin E oil on your skin:
Apply vitamin E oil onto the skin to increase levels of the nutrient in the skin tissue. To reduce the appearance of these marks, apply it regularly on the area and rub gently,” says Dr. Mukesh Girdhar, Dermatologist in Max Super Speciality Hospital, Patparganj.
1. Nourishes the SkinDr. Deepali Bhardwaj, a Delhi-based dermatologist says, “Vitamin E makes the nerves stronger and helps in nourishing your skin from within. Burst Vitamin E capsules with a safety pin and apply it onto the face for that soft, radiant skin you always wanted."2. Treats Stretch Marks
Also Read: Vitamin E: Benefits And Top 7 Dietary Sources Of The Antioxidant Vitamin
3. Lightens Scars“Vitamin E oil helps to regenerate new skin cells and can lighten brown spots or scars found on the face,” adds Dr. Mukesh Girdhar, Max Super Speciality Hospital.
4. Cures Muscle SpasmsDr. Manoj Ahuja says, “Vitamin E is very good for relaxing the muscles and can therefore be used to cure muscle spasms.”5. Anti-Ageing “If one shows signs of premature ageing like wrinkles around the eyes, apply Vitamin E oil two to three times a week along with your normal cream for best results. It promotes healthy skin, and reverses signs of ageing,” says Dr. Deepali.
Also Read: Obese People Take Note: Load Up on Vitamin E
6. Acts as a Moisturiser “Vitamin E is an oil-soluble nutrient and is hence heavier than water-soluble products. It restores the lost moisture, and this is why it works best for dry and damaged skin,” says Dr. Ahuja. You can mix a few drops of vitamin E oil with your night moisturizing lotion and apply it on your body before going to bed.7. Treats Dark CirclesApplying Vitamin E oil around the eyes is a great way to get rid of dark circles. Apply it for 2-3 days along with your normal cream and massage gently.
Also Read: 5 Foods That Help Get Rid Of Dark Circles
8. Treats SunburnsTake a few drops of vitamin E oil and rub it gently over the sunburnt area. “Vitamin E is a powerhouse of antioxidants that neutralize the effects of free radicals caused by ultraviolet radiation, hence soothing sunburns,” says Dr. Adarsh Kumar, Internal Medicine.9. Acts as a Cleansing AgentVitamin E oil is a heavy emollient and makes for a great way to get rid of dirt, grime and other impurities while simultaneously maintaining your skin's oil balance. Use a few drops of vitamin E oil on a cotton ball to wipe your face.
Also Read: How To Clean Face At Home: 6 Steps You Need to Follow
10. Treats Chapped Lips“Vitamin E oil works as a moisturizer and can help soften dry lips, making them soft and supple,” says Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj. You can either pair it with honey, or use it as is.ConclusionDr. Deepali advises, “Vitamin E oil can be applied around 5 times a week, but it depends on the quality of your skin. If you have dry skin or combination skin, use it thrice a week. If you have oily skin, use it once a week. Applying vitamin E oil is better than using store bought creams because it gets better absorbed by the skin and gives you beautiful skin, from within.”