Celery is a crisp green vegetable that is mainly used to flavor dishes including salads. It is of two types, white and red. The white one being better in flavor. The stalks are found fresh in the market without roots and very less green leaves. For cooking, only the stalks are used, not the leaves. Celery is used in weight-loss diets as it provides low-calorie fibers. For consumption it is better to select celery that looks crisp and has pale to bright green leaves.
The benefits of celery are maximized if it consumed through celery juice. It is highly nutritious as it hydrates the body. Celery juice is very alkalizing and helps equalize the body’s PH balance. The sodium that is present in celery is soluble and helps against dehydration. For this reason celery juice is consumed by athletes.
Celery is either used as a vegetable to make savoury dishes, to add flavor to soups and stews or as a dried herb where the fruit and seeds are dried or pressed into oil to use like a medicine. It can also be ground and mixed with salt to make celery salt that is used for seasoning.
1. Celery is 95% water, very alkaline, and filled with fiber.
2. Celery contains phthalides that relax the muscles of the arteries and help regulate blood pressure.
3. A single stalk of celery is full of cellulose hence it very low in calories. It also has plant hormones that soothe the central nervous system and help in losing weight.
4. The leaves of celery are rich in Vitamin A and the stems are a good source of B vitamins.
5. A compound called acetylenics that is present in celery helps in stopping the growth of tumor cells.
6. The phytonutrient in celery help against free-radicals prevent colon and stomach cancers.
7. Celery helps in removing cholesterol from the body by increasing bile acid secretion.
8. It is also anti-inflammatory because of the presence of polyacetylene.
Note: People who are allergic to carrot, birch and dandelion have complained of allergic reactions to celery.