Hindi Name: ओट्स
Oat is a type of cereal grain grown for its seed. Oats are an annual plant mostly grown in the foothills of Himalayas, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh. They are available throughout the year in per-packaged packs. Most of its taste comes from the roasting process after it has been harvested and cleaned. Oats are rolled or crushed to make oatmeal, a breakfast staple consumed with milk as a porridge. It may even be ground into oat flour. Oats are eaten only after cooking. They have a nutty and grainy texture.
1. Steel cut oats- Whole oats that are cut into pieces by a steel cutters which produces coarse oatmeal.
2. Rolled oats - Whole oats that are made soft with steam and then flattened between rollers to produce flakes. They are quick to cook and make a smooth porridge.
3. Oat flour- Oats are ground and sieved to make this. The flour can be coarse, medium or fine.
4. Whole Oat Groats - Groats are grain kernels that are simply harvested and cleaned. They take the longest time to cook.
Most commonly, oats are used as a breakfast porridge. They may also be used in baked goodies like muffins, cookies and also breads. They are also used make ready-to-eat cold cereals called muesli. Different types of oats require different cooking techniques. It is best to add the oats to cold water and then cook over low heat.
1. Oats are high fiber foods. The type of fiber found in oats is called beta-glucan.
2. Oats are heart healthy. Eating oats is known to lower your cholesterol levels.
3. The beta-glucan in oats is known to regulate the blood sugar levels..
4. Oats are great stress busters. Oat meal boosts positive energy as it is considered to be a serotonin enhancer, a chemical that makes you happy.
5. Oats contains low levels of sodium. They also have a high satiety value which keeps you full for a longer time.
6. Being a good source natural dietary fiber, it helps in curing constipation.