How To Make Lamb Biryani And Yogurt Raita
About Lamb Biryani And Yogurt Raita Recipe:Right from the exclusive kitchen of Emirates, here is the traditional Indian dish lamb biryani with yogurt raita: Made using typical Indian spices like cardamom, this dish will transfer you to one of the many beautiful spice plantations of the country.
Ingredients of Lamb Biryani And Yogurt Raita
- 1 lamb or forequarter of mutton
- 125 gms yogurt
- 20 ml mustard oil
- 45 gms biryani masala
- 3 gram fennel seeds
- 5 gram green cardamom (whole)
- 4 gram black cardamom (whole)
- 3 gram mace
- 6 pcs bay leaf (whole)
- 2 pcs clove (whole)
- 5 gram black pepper (whole)
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 3 gram start anise
- 4 gram cumin seeds
- 4 gram coriander seeds
- 6 gram red kashmiri chilli
- 2 gram onion seeds
- 250 gms fresh roma tomatoes
- 35 gms ginger paste
- 60 gms garlic paste
- 600 gms basamati rice
- 100 gms ghee
- 0.5 gram saffron
- 300 gms onion, sliced
- 25 gms mint leaves, chopped
- 25 gms coriander leaves, chopped
- 5 gram fenugreek leaves (dried)
- 5 ml kewra water
- 50 gms cashews
- 25 gms raisins
- 25 ml milk
- 250 ml yogurt
- 2 pcs cucumber (small), chopped
- 5 gram cumin powder, roasted
- 3 gram salt
- 2 pcs onion (medium), chopped
- 5 gram coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 gram chilli powder
- 2 pcs tomatoes (diced)
How to Make Lamb Biryani And Yogurt Raita
- 1.Prepare spice marinade:
- 2.Dry roast biryani masala spices (fennel, green cardamom, mace, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, star anise, cumin, coriander seeds, Kashmiri chillies, onion seeds).
- 3.Grind all dry spices (except black cardamom and bay leaves) and store masala powder in an airtight container.
Combining 125g yogurt, mustard oil and 45g of biryani masala in a large glass bowl for marinating.
- 4.Toss the lamb chunks into the bowl and rub yoghurt mixture into the meat.
- 5.Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Lamb preparation:
- 1.Fry cashews separately in ghee. Reserve for garnishing.
- 2.Fry one cup of the sliced onions in the same ghee. Reserve rest of the onions for later.
- 3.Remove the marinating lamb chunks from the fridge and set aside for it to reach room temperature.
- 4.Heat remaining ghee in a casserole, add 60 g garlic, 35 g ginger, 250 g tomatoes and remaining chopped onion.
- 5.Add the meat chunks to the sautéing mixture, cover the casserole and let it cook until the lamb is tender and the oil has separated.
- Prepare parboiled rice:
- 1.Wash and rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- 2.Soak rice in lukewarm water for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
- 3.Boil six cups of water in a pot and add three tablespoons of salt.
- 4.Add drained rice to boiling water and cook for 14 minutes.
Drain the rice and return it to the pot. Set pot aside and cover for 15 minutes.
- Rice preparation:
- 1.Spread parboiled rice on a plate.
- 2.Remove lamb chunks from the casserole.
- 3.In the same pan add a layer of cooked rice, followed by a layer of lamb chunks and another layer of rice.
- 4.Between each layer, sprinkle some fried onions, coriander, mint, fenugreek leaves, saffron, kewra water, raisins and fried cashews. The final layer on top should be rice.
- 5.Cover the lid and cook on low flame for 10-12 minutes.
- 6.Remove from the heat and garnish with remaining fried onions, mint, fenugreek leaves and coriander.
Serve hot lamb biryani with cool raita on the side.
- Prepare raita:
- 1.Mix together yoghurt, salt and roasted cumin powder in a bowl.
- 2.Add diced tomato, cucumber and chopped coriander to the bowl and mix well.
- 3.Garnish with chilli powder and serve cool to enjoy with biryani.
Key Ingredients: lamb or forequarter of mutton, yogurt, mustard oil, biryani masala, fennel seeds, green cardamom (whole), black cardamom (whole), mace, bay leaf (whole), clove (whole), black pepper (whole), Cinnamon stick, start anise, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, red kashmiri chilli, onion seeds, fresh roma tomatoes, ginger paste, garlic paste, basamati rice, ghee, saffron, onion, mint leaves, coriander leaves, fenugreek leaves (dried), kewra water, cashews, raisins, milk, yogurt, cucumber (small), cumin powder, salt, onion (medium), coriander leaves, chilli powder, tomatoes (diced)