Recipe of Besan ka Cheela
A simple savory pancake made with chickpea flour and mild spices.
- 1 cup besan
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 1 green chilli - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup methi leaves-finely chopped
- 4 tsp oil for frying the chelas
How to Make Besan ka Cheela
- Mix all the ingredients, except oil, to a thick pouring consistency, adding the water a little at a time.
- Leave to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a tbsp or so of oil in a frying pan, then pour it off into a container.
- Keeping the heat high pour some batter in the center of the pan, spreading it out a little.
- Lower the heat and let cook till the edges brown a little and can be lifted easily.
- Dribble a little oil around it, turning the pan so the oil goes under the cheela.
- Flip it over to cook slightly on the other side and before serving it hot with a green chutney.