Bhein Ke Kebab
Recipe Servings: 12
Here's the recipe of an ideal party starter. Kebabs made with the distinctive flavors of lotus stems, chana dal and mild spices.
- Makes 12 cocktail kebabs
- 2 large kamal kakri (bhein/lotus stem)-washed and sliced
- 1 cup chana daal
- 2 black cardamoms-seeds only
- 2 tsp ginger-chopped fine
- 1 tsp garlic-peeled and chopped fine
- 1 tsp salt or to taste green chillies-chopped fine to taste
- 2 Tbsp onions-chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp coriander-chopped
- 2 Tbsp ghee/oil to pan-fry
- Onion rings and lemon wedges to garnish
- Place kamal kakri, daal, elaichi, ginger and garlic in a pan with about 1 cup water (should be absorbed by the time it is cooked).
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook, covered till soft.
- Remove from heat and when cool grind to a thick dough-like paste.
- Mix the salt, chillies, onions and coriander and form into small flat rounds (about 1").
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and pan-fry on both sides till brown.
- Serve hot garnished with the onion rings an lemon wedges, with a green chutney on the side.
- You can make kale chane ke kabab in the same way, using only boiled and mashed kala chana instead of bhein and daal.
Key Ingredients: Lotus Stem
, black Cardamom
, bengal gram (split)
, Coriander leaves
, green chillies
, Lemon rind
, clarified butter
, vegetable oil