Recipe of Ilish Machher Jhol (Hilsa Fish Curry)
Recipe Servings: 4
Hilsa fish curry: This Bengali recipe is very easy to prepare, tastes delicious and is a great accompaniment with steamed rice.
- Hilsa fish (easily available in West Bengal, but found in most parts of India throughout the year), cut into thin pieces.
- 1 tsp black cumin seeds (known as kalongi in Hindi and kalo jeeray in Bengali)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- 2 to 4 green chillies
- 1 Tbsp mustard oil (or any vegetable oil)
- Salt to taste
How to Make Ilish Machher Jhol (Hilsa Fish Curry)
- Shallow fry the Hilsa fish pieces, till golden brown. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 Tbsp oil, add about 1 tsp black cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add about a cup of water to it, about 1/2 tsp haldi, salt to taste and let the water come to a boil.
- Add the fried Hilsa pieces. Split the the green chillies into two or cut them into half and add to the curry.
- Cook for 2 mins.
- Hilsa curry is ready. Serve with steamed rice.