Karachi halwa is a chewy Indian dessert loaded with the goodness of almonds, pistachios and other dry fruits.
- 500 gm caster sugar
- 115 gm arrowroot
- 3-5 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ghee as required
- 60 gm almonds
- 30 pistachios
- Dissolve the sugar in 3 cups of water. Stir and boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain through a sieve lined with muslin cloth.
- Mix arrowroot powder with sugar syrup.
- Add 5 cups cold water to make a thin paste.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture turns into one lump-less lump.
- Add lime juice. Stir away.
- When the mixture sticks to the base of the pan, add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Repeat this step until the mixture becomes a lump again!
- Fold in the nuts. Pour into a greased pan. Smooth down with a greased spoon. Allow to cool.
- Cut into squares and serve. Store refrigerated for upto 4 days.