Recipe Servings: 4
Now burgers that are healthy. Patties made with mushrooms, lentils and sun-dried tomatoes sliced between whole wheat buns.
- 5 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 package cremini or button mushrooms, minced
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- 1/2 an egg
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 blob of butter with 2-3 cloves minced garlic (for buns)
- Caramelized onions
- 5 lettuce leaves
- 5 slices of tomatoes
- Process 1 burger bun in a food processor to make crumbs. Set aside.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high and saute onions with a pinch of salt until soft.
- Add the garlic, stir, and cook another minute.
- Scrape the onion mix into a bowl. Keep aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, over high heat, add the mushrooms followed by salt - let the mushrooms sweat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms turn deep golden brown.
- Scrape the mushroom mixture into the bowl with the onions-set aside to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile heat some butter with garlic and toast the buns lightly.
- Now in the food processor add the sun-dried tomatoes, the lentils and half of the mushroom-onion mix, process so that it is pasty yet have a bite. Pulse it slightly, do not puree.
- Put the mixture into a mixing bowl and mix in the egg, a pinch of salt, black and white pepper.
- Divide the lentil mixture into four portions, make each into a ball and flatten into a patty.
- Coat the patty with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the lentil patties and shallow fry on each side until crisp and deep golden.
- Now bake the patties for 5-6 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.
- We put it in the oven because the patties were shallow fried i.e the outside gets cooked but the inside is still mushy.
- Place a lettuce leaf, tomato slice and some caramelized onions on each of the buns.
- Top with the patty and close with the other half.
Key Ingredients: Mushroom
, olive oil
, whole brown lentils
, slat, black pepper
, white pepper