Shahi Tukda With Apricot Sheera
Recipe Servings: 4
Golden slices of fried bread in a warm heavy custard cream, flavoured with a layer of apricot compote and topped with a marscapone cream.
- 1.5 liter milk
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom (elaichi)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- Few strands saffron
- 12 slices white bread
- 300 ml cooking oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp mascarpone cream
- 2 Tbsp of heavy double cream
- 50 gms apricots (small and dry with seeds)
- Boil 1.5l milk, add 1 stick cinnamon and 2 pcs elaichi (green)
- Add in 4 tbsp heaped with sugar.
- Cook the milk for approximately 6 minutes.
- Layer saffron in a serving dish and pour 2 ladles (approx 4 tbsp) of the milk mixture on top.
- Cut squares of white bread, and heat oil to deep fry in a pan.
- Add a star anise to the oil to flavour it.
- Once the star anise is bubbling, remove from the oil.
- Fry the bread squares till golden, and drain excess oil on a napkin.
- Place bread in milk mixture with saffron and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk 2.5 tbsp of mascarpone cream. Add in 2 tbsp of heavy double cream and 1 ladle of milk mixture.
- Whisk thoroughly, and place in fridge to chill for 10 mins.
- Boil sugar in 1 cup. Quarter apricots and infuse with sheera.
- For plating:
- On a plate, layer a little apricot on the base.
- Place a slice of soaked bread on top.
- Spoon a little mascarpone mixture between layers of 3 slices. Drizzle some apricot sheera on top.