Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe
Rocky Singh's favorite Thai salad. Som Tam is a green papaya salad that combines all four tastes - sour, chilli, sweet and salty.
Ingredients of Som Tam (Papaya Salad)
- Small green raw papaya, shredded
- 4 chopped long beans
- 6 cloves garlic (or 1/4 pod)
- 8 cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 6 red or green chilly
- 2 Tbsp palm sugar (or 1 Tbsp regular sugar)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp ground roasted peanuts
- Fresh lettuce, green beans, lime wedges and chilly for garnish
How to Make Som Tam (Papaya Salad)
- Peel and seed papaya and shred it. Put in a bowl.
- Crush garlic with a pestle, then add long beans and tomatoes and pound a few times to release juices.
- Add the chillies and crush lightly to release the heat.
- In a separate cup dissolve the sugar in the lime juice and fish sauce.
- Mix all ingredients together now and toss to mix.
- Serve in a shallow bowl and top with garnish.
- Do not blend but use mortar and pestle for the salad.
- Do not add salt, the fish sauce or soy sauce has enough salt.
- Taste once mixed and add any ingredient to taste ..this one is supposed to be deadly spicy.
Key Ingredients: cherry tomatoes
, fish sauce
, red chilli
, green chillies
, broad beans
, lemon juice