sharbat), which is said to be super refreshing and helps your body replenish well. Barley is a grain commonly found in beverages, breads and various regional cuisines in the country. Barley, as a whole grain, is an important source of dietary fibre, vitamins, and minerals that are not found in refined grains. Barley water is often flavoured with lemon juice to give it a tangy twist.
(Also Read -9 Reasons Why You Should Drink Barley Grass Juice)
Barley, as a whole grain, is an important source of dietary fibre
Benefits Of Barley
How To Make Barley Sharbat At Home?Ingredients
- Chemicals in barley known as tocols have been found to lower LDL cholesterol and contribute to better cardiovascular health.
- Barley, loaded with fibre content, can help boost your digestive process. In fact, it makes you feel fuller for longer. Combined with a healthy diet and exercise regime, it may help you lose weight.
- It comes loaded with antioxidants, folate, copper, iron and manganese that help promote overall health.
- It is the presence of digestive fibre that helps keep your bowels moving smoothly.
- Choline is an important nutrient in barley water that helps with proper body functioning.
- Barley is said to prevent the development of kidney stones and water retention.
- Its antioxidant properties help clear toxins from the stomach, further keeping your stomach healthy.
- Barley (pick pot barley, hulled barley or pearl barley)
- Rock sugar or salt (optional)
- Lemon juice (as needed)
- Wash and soak barley for not less than eight hours.
- Drain the water completely.
- Now, add water and barley to a pot or cooker and pressure cook it until it turns mushy.
- You can also cook it in an open pan till the barley turns soft and tender.
- If you are using hulled barley, it takes more than an hour to cook in the pan. You will require more water as needed while you boil it.
- Let the solution cool to room temperature.
- Strain and add rock sugar or salt, lemon and relish it with ice. In fact, you can add raw honey to it too.
Make some ice-cold barley sharbat at home and beat the heat like never before!
Summers are upon us; we all are in a desperate need to stay hydrated and cool in the scorching heat. One of the best ways to do so is to drink jau, or barley, water (or