Valentine's Day is being celebrated all over the world on February 14. The day marks a celebration of love and affection and was originally named after St. Valentine from ancient Rome. On this day, people express their feelings for their loved ones through messages, cards, greetings, gifts, chocolates and more. Rather than this usual stuff, how about cooking up a delicious homemade treat for that special someone in your life? We have found just the recipe that has been going viral in the recent past. Thumbprint cookies are all the rage on social media, and this time, a unique heart-shaped version of them has been created for Valentine's Day. Take a look:
(Also Read: Valentine's Day 2023: 7 Valentine's Day Treats That You Must Try)
What Are Thumbprint Cookies?
Thumbprint cookies are basically a quick and easy recipe of cookies with a twist. The usual butter cookies recipe is taken a notch higher with the help of a simple thumbprint. Once the cookie dough is ready and lined up on the baking tray, a small impression is made in them with the help of the thumb. Then, chocolate, caramel sauce, jam or nuts can be filled into that hole for an interesting texture and a whole new range of flavours.
All About Heart-Shaped Thumbprint Cookies
Heart-shaped thumbprint cookies have been trending for quite some time now. This recipe has gone viral and becomes all the rage on various platforms including Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram. Although it is quite a simple recipe, it has raked millions of views all over social media. Originally shared by blogger @lina.ways, it basically involves a small twist to the usual thumbprint cookies. The idea is to use two thumb impressions to create a small heart on top of the cookies that are filled with jam and baked till golden brown. The resulting treat is not just adorable to look at but also makes for the perfect treat for Valentine's Day!
(Also Read: Valentine's Day: 7 Red Velvet Recipes To Celebrate With Your Loved Ones)
How To Make Heart-Shaped Thumbprint Cookies For Valentine's Day:
We have found a delicious recipe for heart-shaped thumbprint cookies for Valentine's Day. You would require a couple of simple household ingredients and an easy cooking process. The best part about this recipe is that it is completely beginner-friendly. So, don't worry about being a pro-baker, you'll be able to make this recipe with ease!
(makes 10-12 cookies)
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk OR 1/2 tsp Baking Powder + 1 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup Flour
- Strawberry Jam
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile, start the preparation for the cookies by mixing butter and sugar in a bowl. You can use the usual granulated sugar, or icing sugar that would mix faster.
- Once the butter and sugar are mixed completely, add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. You can also substitute for egg yolk by using baking powder and a little bit of milk. Keep mixing continuously without beating the mixture.
- Once these wet ingredients are ready, start adding the flour in small quantities. Make sure the flour is well-incorporated.
- Take a baking tray and line it with parchment paper or grease a small baking tin. Take small balls of cookie dough and flatten them slightly with your palm. Press your thumb in between at 45-degree angles to create a heart.
- Add small quantities of strawberry jam to the heart-shaped thumb impression. Bake for 12-15 minutes or till the cookie turns golden brown. Serve hot!
Here's wishing all our readers a very happy Valentine's Day!