Cancer is one of the deadliest and the most dreadful diseases we have seen so far. Although, there is no sure-shot way to avoid developing diseases like cancer, but we can do everything in our capacity to reduce the risk. Officials at the American Cancer Society updated their guidelines on diet to prevent cancer, and gave us some diet tips to reduce cancer risk. They laid emphasis on maintaining a healthy weight, staying physically active and following a balanced diet to stay healthy and keep diseases and illnesses at bay.
This is the first time the American Cancer Society updated its cancer-related diet guidelines, which were last framed in the year 2012. The organisation laid out some specific diet tips aimed at reducing the risk of cancer. These are:
1. Consume a variety of vegetables and fruits and plenty of whole grains and brown rice, to strengthen your body with nutrients.
2. The experts suggested cutting down on red meats like beef, pork and lamb, as they are full of saturated fatty acids.
3. Processed meat such as bacon and sausages should also be avoided as much as possible.
4. Avoid excessive drinking of alcohol and alcoholic drinks.
5. Limit sugar-sweetened beverages, refined grain products, and all kinds of highly processed foods.
These diet tips for cancer prevention were published in CA: A Council Journal For Clinicians.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)
About Neha GroverLove for reading roused her writing instincts. Neha is guilty of having a deep-set fixation with anything caffeinated. When she is not pouring out her nest of thoughts onto the screen, you can see her reading while sipping on coffee.