Cha Shu Broth Recipe
A delectable pork broth made using the bones, it is flavoured with seaweed and a handful of vegetables and slow cooked for hours for the flavours to develop.
- Total Cook Time1 hr
- Cook Time1 hr
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Cha Shu Broth
- 2kg pork bones from ribs
- 2kg pork trotters
- 2kg pork head (brain removed)
- 650gm carrot
- 500gm onion
- 250gm leeks
- 100gm garlic
- 200gm ginger
- 1 stick kelp seaweed (konbu)
- 20ml soy sauce (light)
- 15gm bonito flakes
- 20 litres water
How to Make Cha Shu BrothHideShow Media
1. Fill a large enough cooking pot with water and bring to boil.
2. Switch off fire as soon as the water boils. Drop in the bones and let cool. This process will help you get rid of the blood and blood vessels easily.
3. Drain the water off the bones in a large strainer and discard the water.
4. Check and take off any blood or blood vessels from the bones and wash them under running water.
5. Break all the bones in two with a hammer. Leave it to cool down for 30-40 minutes.
6. Fill the pot again with clear water and place a wire mesh beneath and drop the bones inside. Bring to boil.
7. Keep cooking over a strong fire and scoop out foam and unwanted matters coming up on the surface
8. As the bottom might get hotter than near the surface, stir with a large ladle from time to time.
9. Continue to boil the broth for 24 hours, or until desired consistency and colour is reached, meat has completely separated and broken down in the broth. Add all vegetables one by one and further boil for 10 more hours. Optionally, you can stir every 1-2 hours just to check up on things and promote more churning.
10. Add water if the level gets too low. Once cooked to your liking, strain the broth, discarding the solids, and reserve broth by quickly chilling with ice.
11. Retain the balance quantity by freezing it in food grade plastic bags and ones you wish to use again, simply cut open the plastic bag and dump the frozen stock lump in a cooking pot and place it over heat to melt/defrost .
12. Flavour it with soy sauce and bonito flakes.