Chettinad Kozhi (Chicken) Curry Recipe
Whether it's an all day dinner at a luxury hotel or a tiny hole in the wall type eatery, nothing quite hits the spot when you seek comfort food at 1 am, like a Chettinad Chicken Curry served with kal dosai.
- Total Cook Time 40 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 30 mins
- Recipe Servings5
Ingredients of Chettinad Kozhi (Chicken) Curry
- 1 kg of chicken (curry cuts)
- 50 ml of refined oil
- 125 gm of onions, finely chopped
- 2 gm of cinnamon, cardamom and cloves
- 1 tsp of saunf
- 20 gm of ginger garlic paste
- 200 gm of tomato puree
- A few sprigs curry leaves
- A handful chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp of Chettinad masala powder
- For the Chettinad Masala Powder
- 250 gm of coriander seeds
- 250 gm of cumin seeds
- 100 gm of fennel seeds
- 160 gm of peppercorns
- 60 gm of kalpasi (Patthar ke Phool)
- 30 gm of Marathi moggu (Kapok Buds)
- 5 gm of mace
- 1 nutmeg
- 5 gm of bay leaves
- 25 gm of black cardamoms
- 20 gm of cinnamon
- 20 gm of cloves
- 15 gm of green cardamoms
- 25 gm of star anise
How to Make Chettinad Kozhi (Chicken) CurryHideShow Media
For the Chettinad masala, dry roast all the spices separately before blending them into a fine powder.
Heat oil in a pan, add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fennel, onion, curry leaves and fry till golden brown.
Add ginger garlic paste and tomato puree and cook well. Now add red chilli powder, Chettinad masala powder, required water and cook well.
Add chicken and cook till tender.
Serve hot garnished with fried curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves.