Tomato and Basil Sauce Recipe
How to make Tomato and Basil Sauce
This basic tomato and basil sauce with onions, chilli flakes ,balsamic vinegar and pepper smothered over some silky pasta is super delicious.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time1 hr
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 (400 g) tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp crushed chili flakes
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- Bunch of basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Tomato and Basil SauceHideShow Media
Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion and garlic until softened.
Stir in the tomatoes, chili flakes, vinegar and sugar.
Bring to a simmer and cook slowly for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
This sauce can be left chunky or blended in a food processor for a smooth sauce. Serve spooned over cooked pasta.