Recipe of Apple Cinnamon Muffins
These muffins are great for breakfast on-the-go or as a mid-day snack. The Braeburn apples add a rich, sweet-tart, spicy flavor.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4 cups sugar
3-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup peeled, cored and grated apples
- 1 container (8 oz) low fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp ground cinnamon
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Serves: 24
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Grease 24 3-inch (7.5-cm) muffin pan cups or line with paper liners.
- In large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, orange zest and nutmeg.
- With pastry blender or fork, cut in 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In medium bowl combine apple, yogurt and eggs.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until centres spring back when gently pressed.
- Cool muffins in pan 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool until able to handle.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter.
- In small bowl, combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- To serve, brush tops of muffins with butter and roll top in cinnamon-sugar mixture
Key Ingredients: all purpose flour
, baking powder
, orange rind