Carrot, Peanut and Prune Salad Recipe
Recipe Servings: 6
A summer salad, tossed with a tangy caramel and orange dressing, that goes very well with Indian dishes. With the crunchiness of peanuts and carrots, this salad is a great option for a brunch.
Ingredients of Carrot, Peanut and Prune Salad
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice (fresh or tetra pack)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1tsp cumin juice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and roughly crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6-8 pitted California prunes
- 500 g carrots, peeled and cut into julienne
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds, roasted
How to Make Carrot, Peanut and Prune Salad
- Place sugar in a pan on moderate heat until you get a dark caramel.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully add orange and lime juice.
- Return pan to heat and stir continuously until you get a smooth, light brown, slightly thick syrup.
- Stir for a few minutes longer and remove from heat. Mix in cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Steam carrots for 1 minute. Cool and refresh in ice water. Drain.They should still be very crunchy and bright orange in color.
- Cut prunes into halves. Place all ingredients for salad in a bowl or platter and pour on the tangy caramel dressing.
- Toss to coat salad evenly. It is not essential, but preferable, that the salad is chilled.
- Tip: Use orange carrots, as the red ones tend to be too watery.