Hot Cross Buns
Recipe Servings: 6
Make this Easter favorite at home. It is tradition to eat hot cross buns on Good Friday.
- 450 gm flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp salt
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 25 gm yeast
- 50 gm sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75 gm raisins
- 75 gm chopped candied peel
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Sieve flour; cinnamon and salt, add nutmeg.
- Crumble yeast into a small dish; sprinkle over 1 tsp sugar. Liquify.
- Heat milk, sugar and butter together until tepid.
- Add to eggs and yeast.
- Pour into flour mixture.
- Knead well. Allow it to rise until double in volume. (1/2hr)
- Knead in fruit. Allow it to rise.(10-15 minutes)
- Shape into rolls.
- Place on baking sheets.
- Mark with flour crosses and allow it to "prove" in a warm place. (35-40 minutes)
- Glaze with beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 15-20 minutes.
- Whilst hot, brush with warm milk and sugar.
- Serve warm with butter.