Recipe of Mocha Chingri
Recipe Servings: 2
This Bengali delicacy makes use of a marvelous vegetable - the banana flower, known as 'mocha' in Bengali. Cooked with shrimps and coconut, it is best served with rice on the side.
- 1 full banana flower, cleaned, steamed, and chopped
- 1 big potato, cubed
- 100 gm of shrimps
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 3-4 cloves
- ½ stick of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1-2 green chillies
- Salt to taste
How to Make Mocha Chingri
- Clean the shrimps and stir fry them with salt and turmeric powder till done, for 4-5 minutes. Do not Keep aside.
- Fry the cubed potatoes, till they're lightly golden, and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, and green chillies, and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the grated coconut and sauté for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the banana flowers, some turmeric, and cook the mixture till you can see the oil separate.
- You can also add the potatoes at this point. Add salt. Add some water, and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Once the banana flowers and the potato are cooked through, add the shrimp. Mix well, cook for 1 minute. Serve with hot rice.
- (Optional: If you like ghee, you can drizzle some on top of the dish once it's ready, for added flavour).